Sunday, 11 March 2012

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 387
Publication Date: 3rd January 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Buy: Amazon

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl... Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister's illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself at the centre of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world's future (Goodreads)


I really enjoyed this futuristic version of Cinderella, it is extremely unique; I loved the new world, full of robots and new technology that made this story stand out from the crowd. 

Cinder is definitely a tomboy and I loved that about her, she wasn’t into fawning over the cute prince and fancy dresses she was more interested in mechanics and anything that would provide freedom from her wicked step - mother. I liked her character’s independence and how she had her dream of escaping but she was willing to put this in jeopardy for others; it made her likeable and relateable.

I liked how old and new fused together with little parts of the original tale cropping up every now and then, I think it was the right balance for a retelling, where it didn’t have to be exactly like it’s classic counterpart.

The only problem I had with Cinder was, for me, it wasn’t a compulsive read. It was not one of those books I stayed up until the early morning to read – I still wanted to know what happened and see where the story would eventually go but it didn’t have me hooked.

Two interesting additions from the original story were the plague, it makes you think of the devastating effects an illness can have on the population of a country and the classification of cyborgs as secondary citizens – to find a cure to the plague there is a cyborg draft, offering up cyborgs as guinea pigs; showing how differences (such as having metal limbs) are used against people. Cinder’s step – mother was the epitome of intolerance that is breed with ignorance, with her believing cyborgs to be cruel and uncaring (Oh the irony!)

I loved the introduction of the Lunars, the creatures from the moon who possess incredible mind control abilities and are threatening war against Earth – Queen Lavana (The queen of the Lunars) was your typical tyrannical evil antagonist who had an unaffected scorn towards the humans of the Earth; it surprised me how much I liked the Lunars, I know they’re evil but they are intriguing and I can’t wait to learn more about them!

As far as romance goes, there isn’t a lot and (surprisingly) I liked it that way. The scenes between Cinder and Prince Kai seemed genuine and well placed but weren’t the focus of your attention. But I loved Cinder’s friendship with her other sister Peony and with her robot Iko, it was sweet and realistic.

My favourite thing about the story was that Cinder, despite being confused as to who she is, where she came from and where she fits in, sticks to her guns and tries as hard as she can to get away from her wicked step - mother and doesn’t need the help of a fairy god mother to do it.

Cinder, Marissa Meyer’s debut novel, is a modern fairytale with a kick that I’d certainly recommend to everyone! 


1 comment:

  1. Great review, I'll be looking out for this book now! Thanks for the review... and also thank you so much for following my blog! I am of course going to follow your blog too - it's great!

    ReplyDelete